Visit the schools you have selected and arrange an interview with the head or senior staff to find out whether the school’s ethos, values and mission will be a good fit for your child’s personality, needs and talents. Please remember that there is no such thing as the “top school” or the “best school” for all children: parents should choose the school that best suits their child.
A checklist for parents:
- Ask the school for its Education Management Information System (EMIS) number to check whether it is registered with the provincial education department and thus legal.
- Check if its teachers are registered with the South African Council for Educators (SACE).
- Ask if the school belongs to an independent schools’ association, such as ISASA.
- In the case of a high school, ask for its school-leaving examination results for the past few years, especially the percentage of Bachelors Degree (university entrance) passes.
- Ask a pre-primary school about its particular educational approach and into which primary schools its children are accepted.